After a leisurely morning, we walked to the Jesuit house which is next to the Church of the Gesu. Father Nicolas Steeves, SJ gave us a explanation of the life of St. Ignatius, based on several images which lead to the room in which St. Ignatius died. The hall outside that room was painted in the 15th Century – and is rich in images, including several stained glass windows depicting scenes from the life of Ignatius. We then had mass in St. Ignatius’ room. The meditations and homilies were very beautiful and insightful.
In the afternoon, we went to a display put on by the city of Rome, which is on loan by the Vatican museum for the jubilee Year of Mercy. It included interactive displays, archived video and many volumes, maps and other documents all relating to the history of the ordinary and extraordinary years of jubilee. A hilight for many sisters was seeing the actual Bull declaring the first jubilee year, 1300.
In the evening, we went for a walk and topped off the day with Gelato! The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church are celebrating their superior’s jubilee – so we celebrated with them!
The entrance to the hall outside St. Ignatius' room
This bust of Ignatius' head was made from a mask taken immedately after his death.
The bust indicates his actual height.
A group picture with Father Steeves